Religious town – A walk in the historical centre gives you the chance to see its rich religious patrimony, with important evidence of Christian, Jewish and Islamic cultures.
The Amoreira Aqueduct – A monument that spans seven kilometres till it reaches the city gates. The works started in 1530 in order to bring water up to Elvas. This engineering work would only be finished a century later. The four levels of arches reach a mesmerizing 31 meters high.
The village – Barbacena was a city council until 1837 and is now under Elvas’s municipality. This Islamic village was passed to the Portuguese crown by the middle of the XIIIth century. Since it was on the front defensive line, the village was continuously attacked by the Castilian troops until stability in the XXth century. This Alentejo village shows its ancient and important heritage, with monuments like the main church built in 1273, the village Pillory from the XVIth century, the church of São Sebastião and the church of Nossa Senhora do Paço, both from the XVI-XVIIth centuries and the Santo Calvário or Chapel of Nazaré from the XVIIIth century.
Anta da Coutada de Barbacena – A national monument from the Neo-chalcolithic or Copper Age. One of the 13 dolmens classified by the Patrimony and Culture Department which is included in Elvas Archaeological Dolmen Route.
Barbacena Castle – It’s a fortification included in the rich network of military architectural monuments of this region. Nowadays is a private property. The castle is thought to be built during the reign of king Afonso II (1248-1279) on a pre-Roman fortification. It was attacked several times by the Castilians and after restoration work ordered by king Manuel I (1495-1521), it was invaded by the Castilian troops in 1645, during the Restoration war.
Within 30 Km
Caia Dam – With an extremely beautiful landscape and a great sense of peace and tranquillity, the Caia Dam is the largest dam in all Portalegre region, bordering the municipalities of Elvas, Arronches and Campo Maior. Water sports and leisure activities are allowed, except motorized crafts.
Monforte – The village of Monforte is on the top of a sturdy hill, on the left bank of Ribeira Grande, a hill that is probably the source of the name “Monforte”. The most iconic monument of the village is the castle, which is now in ruin. We also advise a visit to the Lusitanian-Roman Villa of Torre de Palma (Villa Lusitano-Romana de Torre de Palma). The handcraft work of the region has been passed down from generation to generation, especially typical works in cork, wood, stone, horn, wicker and leather.